The Santa Clara University Equestrian Team is a student-run club sport team on campus founded in 2006. We are open to any student who has an interest in horses and horseback riding. It doesn't matter if you are a first-time rider or a seasoned show expert (or anywhere in between). No riding experience is necessary as long as you share our passion for horses!
For a brief overview, please watch this video created in 2013 to thank donors to the Santa Clara Fund:
To be a member of the SCU Equestrian Team, you must:
- attend weekly meetings and participate in activities such as fundraisers
- pay $500 annual dues to help fund lessons, co-hosting shows, socials, and more
- participate in ten official team lessons at Ligara Farms (included in dues)
- ride at least once weekly at the barn of your choice
- belong to the IHSA ($30/year) and USHJA ($15/year)
- pay $35/class entry fee and $45/day coach fee when competing
With the 2013-14 school year comes a fun new part of the SCU Equestrian Team: the dressage team! Here is a message from Julia Ivanitski, a co-founder of our upcoming dressage team: "Absolutely anyone is able to join, since dressage is the basis of all english riding. If you want to join the equestrian team but ride western, you are more than welcome to join the dressage team. Or if you want to show but are afraid of jumping, dressage is for you! We will partake in show competitions just like the hunter jumpers so you won't miss out on anything." For more information about the dressage team or to express your interest, please contact email@example.com. The dressage team is separate from the hunt seat team, and it competes through the Intellecollegiate Dressage Associate (IDA).
L-R: Camille, Marianna, Alyssa, Coach Susan Crenshaw, Sarah, Stephen, Lexie, Liza, Allie, and Erika posing with Cocoa, October 2013.